Trump Comments on Potential Pardon for Sean “Diddy” Combs

Trump Comments on Potential Pardon for Sean “Diddy” Combs
  • calendar_today August 16, 2025
  • Business

Trump Comments on Potential Pardon for Sean “Diddy” Combs

Donald Trump is once again at the center of attention regarding the potential impact he could have on hip-hop mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs’ sentencing. In an interview on Friday, August 1, with Newsmax’s Finnerty, Trump was questioned on the topic of whether he would consider pardoning the hip-hop mogul.

Sean Combs was found guilty last month of one federal charge—transportation with the intent to engage in prostitution. He was not convicted on the more serious sex trafficking and racketeering charges, the Associated Press reported. The more than seven weeks of testimony, testimonies from witnesses, and an allegation by singer Cassie Ventura that Combs abused her and trafficked her during their years-long relationship, concluded with Combs being found guilty, according to The Guardian. He has consistently denied the allegations and proclaimed his innocence.

“So I’m looking at this thing, and Sean is in jail right now, I guess, or something,” Trump said when questioned on the potential pardon. “And I say, well, he was sort of—you know, you have sort of half-innocent, it’s sort of almost like a victory. And I guess it wasn’t as good a victory as he thought it would be.”

The former president further discussed the case in his remarks. He also made references to his prior relationship with the rapper, which he made a positive note on. “We were very friendly. I got along with him great. I don’t know if he got along with me the last couple of years as well as he did in the past, but we were very friendly,” Trump said. He noted that he does believe Combs may be facing an injustice in the case. “He used to like me a lot. I think when I ran for politics, that relationship busted up,” he added. “I would certainly look at the facts. If I think somebody was mistreated, whether they like me or don’t like me, it wouldn’t have any impact on me.”

Trump Previously Made Comments on a Potential Pardon

Trump has commented on this topic before. In May, during an interview in the Oval Office, the former president was questioned by Fox News White House reporter Peter Doocy about the topic. The question was posed similarly, as it had by the Newsmax host Finnerty, to which Trump responded, again stating that he would “look at the facts” before determining if he would take action on the matter.

“I haven’t spoken to him in years,” Trump said, also noting that his current relationship status with Combs will not matter in his decision-making on the matter. “But I do know what’s going on. And if I think somebody was mistreated, whether they like me or don’t like me, it wouldn’t have any impact on me.”

Combs has been in a legal battle on the case since June 2021, when he was charged by a federal grand jury, according to Fox News. This month, Combs was sentenced on one charge and acquitted on the more serious charges. While in July, he was sentenced on seven federal charges, only one remains—transportation with the intent to engage in prostitution. He will receive his sentencing in October, the date of which is Oct. 3.

The conversation is further heating up as his sentencing date approaches. Trump’s previous comments on the matter, the July verdict, and the case itself have further cemented the attention on what might or might not happen as Combs receives his sentence.

“He was celebrating a victory,” Trump noted to Finnerty. “But I guess it wasn’t as good a victory as he thought it would be.”

A clip of Trump’s full comments was shared on X (formerly Twitter), where further political analysis and reactions have been noted. As of the time of publication, Trump has not made any further comments on the potential pardon or the subject.